This opportunity follows on from previous successful Winter commissions from the two organisations independently – the Royal Shakespeare Company’s willow lantern installation and processions (2016) and Twelfth Night Wassail (2017/18) and at Shakespeare’s New Place, Garden of Curious A-Musements by the Bureau of Silly Ideas (2016) and Mid-Winter Magic by Motionhouse (2017). This year, alongside a separate commissioning opportunity at New Place, they would like to work together to commission and programme a magical, outdoor experience for local people.
They welcome proposals that respond to both this brief and the separate brief for Shakespeare’s New Place.
They are open to different and innovative approaches.
- Should be a high quality artistic experience for the whole family which is surprising, engaging and interactive
- Should focus on women in Shakespeare’s plays
- Could draw on themes relating to the time of year
- Could be a digital work and/ or include live performance
- Could be timed events, or a durational, self-led experience
- Should not be straight performances of Shakespeare’s plays – but use them as a source of inspiration
- Should appeal to all but our specific target audience is local residents and families.
- Should encourage people to explore Stratford-upon-Avon and view it in in a new light
- Should contribute to transforming perceptions of the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust and the Royal Shakespeare Company locally and present Shakespeare/ history and his legacy as relevant, contemporary and accessible.
Budget & Timing
The project budget is £10k (including travel, expenses and VAT).
The project needs to be delivered in December 2018. Exact dates and duration to be determined, subject to the nature of the work and the budget/ installation requirements. However, it should last either over several days or consecutive weekends.
Early May Call for expressions of interest
5th June Deadline for expressions of interest
11th- 13th June Shortlisted candidates invited to interview and make a presentation of preliminary ideas and impulses
w/c 18 June Successful candidate informed
16th July Creative concept finalised
13st August Budget and production process / timeline agreed
20th August Marketing/PR promotion by-lines and publicity image agreed
Early/Mid Dec Show opens to the public
Photo: Motionhouse Midwinter Magic
Image Credit: Brian Slater
Please submit an application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- CV / biog
- A statement outlining what interests you about this opportunity in no more than 250 words
- A statement summarising preliminary response to the above and creative interests and approach in no more than 500 words.
- Links to website and relevant previous work/s (total attachments no larger than 25MB or by a web link)
Deadline for completed applications midnight 5 June 2018
Interviews w/c 11 June in Stratford-upon-Avon.
Applicants will be reimbursed for reasonable interview related travel expenses such as standard rail fares and mileage of 45p per mile. If you do not hear from them by 25th June please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Read more about the Royal Shakespeare Company here
Read more about the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust here