Closing date: Thursday 28th February, 5pm
Image credit: Owen De Visser, Sensibility Festival - Sense
Dance Hub Birmingham is committed to developing the work of dance practitioners who are disabled or D/deaf and who want to show their work in the region and beyond.
We are inviting disabled and/or D/deaf dance practitioners who live or work mostly in the West Midlands: Black Country, Birmingham, Herefordshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire, Warwickshire, Coventry, and Worcestershire to apply for an artistic commission independently or alongside/in partnership with organisations who support them.
What we are looking for:
The commission will support the creation of new work, that is one or all of the following
- inclusive – naturally including of different disabled lived experiences, physicality and ways of being.
- integrated – that involves both non disabled and disabled or D/deaf people on equal terms.
- disabled or D/deaf led.
The commission does not have to be disabled or d/Deaf led but it does need to show that it is shaped and informed by disabled or D/deaf people. Neither does it need to have disability as its theme or content but it may have.
We will not accept applications if you are an NPO (National Portfolio Organisation)
Making an Application:
We are asking that you submit an application of 4 sides (if written) or a video/audio recording of up to 10 minutes to tell us
- about your ideas and who you are making the work with e.g. choreographers, artists, mentors and advisors.
- how long you think it will take to make, in a simple project plan.
- how disabled and or D/deaf people are involved
- the money you need, including access costs: what you want from us and what you hope to provide yourself in a simple budget including the money you expect to get from elsewhere (cash & in kind with dates by which you expect to receive it)*
- your artistic track record including links to your previous work, your website/social media streams or film channels.
- what the commission will mean to you and your career.
- how it will help Dance Hub’s ambition to develop and profile work in disability and D/deaf dance.
*How much to apply for:
We cannot fund 100 percent of your idea. We have a total of 30k to award including access costs. We aim to fund more than one commission.
We expect you to find match funding – preferably in cash but share your support in kind too. Tell us if it is confirmed or if you still waiting to hear at the time you apply.
We imagine some of this match may be access costs that you bring to the project.
Contacts for more information:
The deadline for application is at 5pm Thursday 28th February. We know this isn’t much time so we are happy to have a short conversation by email or mobile including facetime, if you need to talk things through. We cannot however give our opinion on whether your idea is good! Contact:
- Sarah Pickthall on firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your final submission by 5pm 28th February 2019. You may deliver your application by email, post or by hand to Gurpreet Bachu, marking it clearly as a commission application to Culture Central, Birmingham Chamber of Commerce, 75 Harborne Road, Birmingham, B15 3DH
Please email applications to email@example.com